Not all Bollywood movies are about a scantily clad woman dancing around trees and desperately angling for the hero’s love. There are some movies with such thoughtfully written characters, they not only entertain you, but also inspire you to be better. Check out the list here:
1. No One Killed Jessica
Based on the horrific murder of a bartender called Jessica Lal in Delhi, No One Killed Jessica revlves around two women, played by Rani Mukherji and Vidya Balan. While the film does showcase everything about how women stand together no matter what, it also shows how women change based on their circumstances. Vidya Balan plays the role of a fierce journalist trying to right a wrong by avenging her sister’s death. The message at the end of the film? If you really want to achieve something, your gender shouldn’t stop you from doing so.
2. Mother India
Mother India was the first movie of its kind to showcase women in all their glory. At a time when Bollywood wasn’t interested in showing off a woman’s strength, this movie did just that, especially when it comes to protecting her children. Creating a phenomenon the movie it released, Mother India was also one of the first Bollywood movies in 1977 to make it to the Oscars.
The year 1977 was one for great cinema and for stories centered around the lives of women. Telling the tale of a Marathi actress, this film is a collaboration of multiple problems faced by the actress during her career. In the 20th century, this movie was an eye opener and a true testament to the struggles an actress faces in order to be recognised for her craft and not gender. Not surprisingly, we aren’t the only ones who thought so because Bhumika won not one, but two National Awards when it released!
Despite being from the 21st century, some of our traditions and values are still from the 19th century. We refuse to believe women can make their own choices and if they are mistreated, they shouldn’t change their opinion because society asks them to. In Queen, Kangana Ranaut as Rani saw us wanting for more. From the moment she went on her honeymoon alone to the moment she told her fiance she didn’t want to get married after all, this movie was a story of liberation all the way through. It left us feeling liberated from years of pressure and societal obligations, making us realise that if we really want to, we can give women all the power they need to live life on their own terms.
What makes this movie stand out so much is, not only did Anushka Sharma produce this film, she also starred in it and wrote the script. On a path to revenge, Anushka Sharma’s character fought and killed the family of the man who murdered her husband. Showing how far a woman when it comes to avenging what went wrong, this movie is an ode to the strength and willpower of women.
Katrina Kaif Birthday – 5 Best Looks Of The Actress
Bollywood’s favorite beauty sensation Katrina Kaif turns a year old today. With a career spanning 16 years, the beauty’s Bollywood journey was anything but smooth. She made her debut with a bizarre crime thriller called Boom (2003,) alongside Amitabh Bachchan, but failed to get any recognition in the public eye. She came to limelight after starring opposite Salman Khan and Sushmita Sen in the romantic comedy Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005.) It was the first real step Katrina Kaif took to stardom and she has been winning hearts ever since with movies like Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani (2009,) Zero (2018) and Bharat (2019) and making everyone groove with her amazing dancing skills.
Today, on the actress’ 36th birthday, let us look at the times she slayed us with her beauty, style and elegance.
View this post on Instagram
Proud to announce my association with @ReebokIndia. It is a perfect fit for me and i am very happy to join hands with a brand that believes and encourages the same thoughts as I do. Fitness & dance are a big part of my life and to be able to team-up with a brand who stands by and supports a similar vision is wonderful. It is an interesting opportunity for me to curate interesting dialogues and conversation around fitness, women’s training and body image amongst other things. It's a big part of my life and it feels great to be sharing this platform with Reebok. @ReebokclassicIndia ❤️📸#tarunvishwa
This month, Katrina Kaif announced her collaboration with Reebok India with an Instagram photo, which instantly started trending. Donning a Reebok workout outfit, she awed us all with her stunning body. Truly a fitness queen!
2)Bharat premiere 2019
For the premiere of her film Bharat, Kaif wore a lehenga designed by the ace Sabyasachi Mukherjee. She paired the lehenga with a stunning neck piece from Sabyasachi Heritage jewellery collection and looked stunning with minimal makeup.
3)ELLE cover May 2019
View this post on Instagram
Girls just wanna have sun 🌻 Jersey swimsuit, @hermes. Acetate sunglasses, @lindafarrow. Editor-in-Chief: @supriya.dravid Photographer: #TarunVishwa Stylist: @rahulvijay1988 Hair : @yiannitsapatori Make-Up : @danielcbauer Assisted By: @pujarinighosh, @kiddoo11, @girl_in_motorboots (STYLING) Location courtesy : @fairmont.maldives
Wearing a Hermes yellow swimsuit paired with yellow sunglasses, Katrina Kaif’s look made us all want to go to the beach for a vacation. The actress looked stunning on the cover and let her true beauty speak with minimal makeup.
4)HT Style Awards 2019
For the award show, Kaif wore an Ester Abner dress and stunned us all in this red gown. The actress kept the look minimal with glossy lips and wavy long hair. She truly take away our breath with this one.
5)Harper’s Bazaar India Cover October 2018
For the cover of Harper’s Bazaar India October 2018 issue, Katrina Kaif wore a black blazer and pants by designer Namrata Joshipura. With a smokey eye and long slick hair, the actress channelled her inner boss babe on the cover.
As Katrina Kaif turns 36, here’s wishing the stylish diva a very happy birthday!
Rani Mukherjee – 4 Best Performances By The Actress
With a career spanning almost two decades, Rani Mukherjee will always be Bollywood’s queen of hearts. Starting with Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat (1997,) which mostly received a negative response, the actress has come a long way. With hard work, she established herself as one of the top actresses in Indian cinema. Here is a list of the four best performances by Rani Mukherjee till date.
1) Saathiya (2002)
A remake of the Tamil film Alaipayuthey, the movie was produced by Mani Ratnam. A commercial hit upon its release, the movie starred Rani Mukherjee as Suhaani, opposite Vivek Oberoi. Considered one of the biggest hits of Mukherjee’s career, the movie was also known for its songs. The role of Suhaani won Rani Mukherjee the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress.
2) Black (2005)
Directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Black starred Rani Mukherjee and Amitabh Bachan in the lead roles and was inspired by the 1962 movie The Miracle Worker. Black is about a deaf and blind girl and her relationship with her teacher (Amitabh Bachchan,) who develops Alzheimer’s disease. Rani Mukherjee, as Michelle, was praised by the audience and the critics alike. The role brought Rani Mukherjee her second Filmfare Award for Best Actress and her second Filmfare Critics Choice Award for Best Actress.
3) No One Killed Jessica (2011)
This biographical thriller film starred Rani Mukherjee and Vidya Balan as the leads and was based on the real life murder case of Jessica Lal. Rani Mukherjee’s intense performance as the journalist covering Jessica Lal’s murder case, won her the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress.
4) Talaash (2012)
Directed by Reema Kagti, this neo-noir psychological thriller saw Mukherjee in the deglamorized role of a housewife. Mukherjee attended several acting workshops to prepare for this role. The movie is based on a cop, his wife and a prostitute who gets entangled in a mystery. Mukherjee’s performance as a housewife grieving the death of her 8 year old son and trying to save her marriage, was praised by the critics as well as the audience.
Time and again, Rani Mukherjee surprised the audience with stellar performances and made a place in their hearts. Even though we don’t see her much on the big screen these days, her legacy lives on and she is still considered as one of the finest actresses of Bollywood.
Which of these performances of Rani Mukherjee is your favorite? Comment down below and let us know.
Deepika Padukone Best Outfits In Recent Times
The quintessential diva Deepika Padukone manages to garner the attention of the media and fans with her regular carpet and public appearances. Be it Indian or Western, the Padmaavat actress sure knows how to impress.
Let us take a look at some of the best outfits she flaunted in recent times.
1) Cannes 2019
For Cannes this year, Padukone was seen in a custom made white gown created by the renowned fashion designer Dundas. The white gown featured a life size black bow across the body and complimented the actress very well. Deepika completed this look with dramatic eyes and a high ponytail. She looked like a dream.
2) Met Gala 2019
Deepika opted the full princess look for this year’s Met Gala. She was seen wearing a dramatic pink strapless gown by Zacposen. She completed this look with full glam makeup and a high ponytail. She looked every bit of a diva in this dress.
3) Ambani wedding
For Akash Ambani’s wedding in May this year, Padukone opted for a pink Sabyasachi saree, a look of hers which swept people off their feet. This look also featured a Pearl choker necklace and statement studs. She looked nothing less than fabulous, we must say.
4) Nykaa Femina Beauty Awards 2019
For the Nykaa Femina Awards this year, Deepika made a statement in a black bodycon dress with a plunging neckline. Minimal makeup and statement earrings completed this look. Deepika Padukone really is the queen of hearts for a reason!
Which one of these looks of Deepika Padukone is your favourite? Comment below and let us know.
Karishma Kapoor Birthday – Interesting Facts About The Actress
Karishma Kapoor, the crush of almost every Indian during the ’90s, is one of the most prominent and gifted actresses in B-town. As Lolo celebrates her 45th birthday today, we bring you some lesser known and interesting facts about this diva.
1) Karishma Kapoor allegedly dropped out of school soon after her sixth standard to pursue a career in acting. Her first film Prem Qaidi was released when she was just 16 years. This passion of hers made her one of the most prominent stars of the ’90s.
2) Karishma Kapoor was rumored to be dating her co star Ajay Devgn for three years before they broke up in 1995. She was also linked up with Akshay Kumar for a brief time.
3) She was romantically involved with Abhishek Bacchan and the duo even got engaged in October 2002. However, their relationship did not last and they split up 4 months after their engagement.
4) Karishma Kapoor turned down several films which came her way, which later went on to become huge hits. She was offered Juhi Chawla’s role in Ishq, Manisha Koirala’s role in Gupt, Rani Mukherjee’s role in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and even Kareena Kapoor’s role in Talaash. She was not keen on doing these roles back then.
5) Karishma Kapoor also made a mark in television with the series Karishma – The Miracles of Destiny. The actress was seen essaying a dual role in the show.
6) Her mother Babita Kapoor gave her the nickname ‘Lolo’ after the legendary Hollywood actress Gina Lollobridiga. In Babita Kapoor’s mother tongue, Sindhi, Lolo means ‘sweet.’
After stealing our hearts for years with her stellar performances and scintillating looks, Karishma Kapoor has been away from the silver screen for a while now. However, she manages to capture the attention of the media with her red carpet appearances.
We wish this diva a very happy birthday and long life ahead.
Arjun Patiala Trailer Out Now
The trailer of Arjun Patiala, starring Kriti Sanon, Diljit Dosanjh and Varun Sharma, released today and by the looks of things, this one is a laughter riot all the way through!
From the very beginning, the leads were promoting the film through funny tit bits and videos, keeping everyone guessing about what to expect from their movie. Watch the trailer now and see what we mean!
Arjun is here to take you on a fun ride to Patiala!!!#ArjunPatialaTrailer out now!
https://t.co/IKlc5YmN2o#DineshVijan @MaddockFilms @TSeries @jugrajrohit @diljitdosanjh @kritisanon @varunsharma90 @leyzellsandeep @yadav_shobhna @bakemycakefilms @sharadakarki
— Bhushan Kumar (@itsBhushanKumar) June 20, 2019
The trailer opens with a voice over of the iconic radio jockey, Ameen Sayani, introducing the movie. Juxtaposed with scenes from Ajay Devgn’s Singham and Ranveer Singh’s Simmba, Ameen’s voice over introduces Arjun Patiala as the 145th cop film in Bollywood!
Honest to the very minute, the trailer introduces Diljit Dosanjh’s character (Arjun Patiala) as a cute cop, Kriti Sanon (Ritu Randhawa) as the supremely dramatic heroine and Varun Sharma (Onida Singh) as the hero’s cop friend. Just like Arjun, Onida also has a hilarious story to his name and through the trailer, one gets glimpses of how his childhood was.
With Ritu being a crime reporter and Arjun and Onida playing the roles of small time cops, the trailer is action packed and filled with at least half a dozen bad guys. Talking about the film, Kriti Sanon said , “I feel it’s a completely different kind of a comedy. It’s a slightly spoofy kind of a comedy. I don’t think that kind of a take on comedy has been done before.”
Directed by Rohit Jugraj, and produced by Bhushan Kumar and Dinesh Vijan under their T-Series and Maddock banners, this movie is touted to be a goofy cop comedy. Arjun Patiala is scheduled to hit the screens on the 26th of July, so stay tuned!
- Laxmmi Bomb – Villain Of Akshay Kumar Starrer Announced
- Katrina Kaif Birthday – 5 Best Looks Of The Actress
- 5 Bollywood Actors Who Played Characters Nowhere Their Age
- SRK To Be Honoured With Honorary Doctorate Degree By La Trobe University
- WAR Teaser Out Now
- Rani Mukherjee – 4 Best Performances By The Actress
- Satte Pe Satta Remake – Deepika Padukone-Hrithik Roshan To Unite?
- Irrfan Khan To Work Only On Angrezi Medium
- Janhvi Kapoor-Angad Bedi Head To Dream Location To Shoot Kargil Girl
- Super 30 Movie Review
- Best Bollywood Psychological Thrillers Of All Time
- Saand Ki Aankh Teaser Out Now
- Kangana Ranaut-Journalist Justin Rao Public Spat – Everything You Need To Know
- Batla House Trailer Out Now
- Dhaakad First Look Out – Kangana Ranaut Looks Ferocious
- Mission Mangal Teaser Out Now
- Gully Boy Wins NETPAC Award For Best Asian Film
- Saaho First Song Psycho Saiyaan Out Now
- 83 first look poster- Ranveer Singh Looks Just Like Kapil Dev
- Ranveer Singh Birthday – Looking At Some Of The Best Performances By The Actor
- Malaal Movie Review
- Kabir Singh Box Office Collections Hit 200 Crore Mark
- Anupam Kher, Zoya Akhtar, Anurag Kashyap And Ritesh Batra Invited To Be Oscars Academy Members
- Judgementall Hai Kya Trailer Out Now
- Deepika Padukone Best Outfits In Recent Times
- S S Rajamouli Mahabharata Imaginary Character Sketches: See Pics
- Megastar Chiranjeevi Film Khaidi No.150 Beats Dangal Records
- S S Rajamouli Breaks Silence On Madhuri Dixit And Surya Being Part Of Baahubali 2
- Sunny Leone Gives A SOLID Reply To RGV On His Shameless Tweets: Watch Video
- Shocking! Salman Khan Worried About Prabhas Baahubali 2
- Bollywood Remade Songs Through The Years
- Baahubali filmmaker SS Rajmouli Next Is Trilogy Based On Mahabharata!
- Rajamouli’s Mahabharatha To Star 3 Big Superstars From Different Industries
- Indian Celebrities WhatsApp Conversation On Khaidi No150
- Kangana Ranaut Opens Up About Her Fight With Prabhas