Director: R. Balki
Cast: Akshay Kumar, Sonam Kapoor and Radhika Apte
mang Bollywood: 3.5/5 Stars
Success stories have shown us time and again that only those people who dare to dream big are the ones who make it big. The story of Arunachalam Muruganantham is one such story and this movie brings to the fore a brilliantly inspiring story!
Given the constant mention of the inadequate percentage of women using sanitary pads in India, it is about time a movie of like this was made. To put things in perspective, PadMan seems more like a long, public service announcement rather than a movie.
However, given how awkward women are made to feel even today while buying sanitary pads from a medical store, this social drama makes for an important film that needs to be watched. That being said, this movie has some brilliant performances to its name. Akshay Kumar, Sonam Kapoor and Radhika Apte have delivered perhaps the best performances in this movie.
Akshay Kumar’s character, Lakshmikant Chauhan, asks his wife a poignant question, “you make such wonderful malpuas for me, why can’t I make sanitary pads for you?” The interesting, if rather odd, quid pro quo is necessitated by the serious health hazards that the newlywed village woman exposes herself to by using a filthy rag when she is on her period.
PadMan opens with Lakshmikant buying sanitary pads for his wife which cost a bomb. Aghast, his wife, Lakshmi (Radhika Apte) says now they will have to go without milk, as she wonders why her HUSBAND would fret about a woman’s problem.
Lakshmi plays the role of the quintessential housewife who still lives with the age old traditions and segregates herself on those five days of the month. It is now the man’s turn to look askance. Lakshmi, too, cannot fathom why sanitary pads are so expensive. Itni halki cheez ka itna bhaari daam kyun (Why should the price of something so light be so heavy,) he asks the medicine store salesman.
The salesman has no solution, neither do multi people. Finally, eureka strikes Lakshmikant and he decides making pads is the answer to all these problems. As he embarks on this journey, our protagonist faces all the hurdles possible: scepticism, ridicule, condemnation and eventual banishment make for the first half of the film. The down and out Lakshmi receives help in the form of a guardian angel, Pari (Sonam Kapoor.)
As the film begins to wind down and Lakshmi inches ever closer to success with his low-cost sanitary napkins, he heads to the United Nations to deliver a talk. Playing on Pari’s name, he acknowledges the role of a fairy who taught him how to fly. Getting the activist to share the credit with a woman is a novel move. Unfortunately, even though the movie works in establishing gender equality roles, it still reinforces the masculinity factor we Indians seem to love.
The romantic angle showed between Lakshmi and the much younger Pari seems extremely forced and does not work at all. The kiss, followed by a snuggle works against the plot and is seen as a cliche. At one point in the film, Lakshmi berates Gayatri for not moving with the times. This is 2001, he points out. Rani Mukerji ke zamaane mein Devika Rani ki baat kar rahi ho (In the age of Rani Mukherji you are talking about Devika Rani), he quips. Safe to say, this movie seems to span over a decade and half.
All in all, PadMan is a well intentioned film with a plot that is strong and drives strength from Akshay Kumar’s gutsy performance. What falls flat is the fact that while Pari is the first woman who uses the Rs. 2 sanitary pad, at the end of the movie, she is positioned as a bystander and a supporter of the man. As always, Radhika Apte steals the show with her polished acting while Sonam Kapoor makes the most of her limited appearance during the second half of the movie.
All in all, this R. Balki directorial has proved its worth. Sticking to his other movies,PadMan also addresses a very important social issue and makes us sit up, watch and take NOTE. Produced under Twinkle Khanna’s production house, Mrs. Funnybones,PadMan has more than lived up to its expectations and is worth the watch!
FIR Filed Against Salman Khan And Katrina Kaif For Casteist Remarks
Late Yesterday, a petition for an FIR was filed in a Delhi Court against Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif. According to reports, the two actors had allegedly made casteist remarks during the promotion of their latest movie, Tiger Zinda Hai.
The court listed the matter for consideration for 27 February and also sought a reply from the Delhi police on the complaint. The plea, filed in the Patiala House Court, alleged Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif had made remarks which were insulting, derogatory and affected the sentiments of a particular cast.
The complaint, filed by Harnam Singh, a former Chairman of Delhi Commission for Karamcharis, alleged the remark was made by Khan during a programme on a television channel while Kaif, “rather than protesting at the offensive and insensitive statement, joined the accused number 1 (Khan) in insulting and abusing the victim through her conduct.”
An inquiry has been led into this matter and the Delhi police have said they will look into the matter and get to the bottom of this issue as soon as possible.
Pari Teaser 5 Will Make You Lose Your Sleep
Holi, the festival of colours, has different connotations. For some, it is the defeat of good over evil while for others, it is about the colours. For Anushka Sharma on the other hand, it is about her new horror flick, Pari.
— Anushka Sharma (@AnushkaSharma) February 22, 2018
The opening shot of this teaser features a pale white Anushka walking in a jungle while a full moon can also be seen in the background. Yes, this is the first clip from Pari that places Anushka outside her house and in the classic horror movie setting.
She walks to a pond and when she looks into it, she sees the bloody, battered Anushka looking right back at her. As a result, the fish of the pond begins to die and soon the pond is full of dead fish floating on its surface. The tone of this teaser is perfect.
Every part of this teaser is imbibed in horror and from the way it has been directed, one gets the feeling of Anushka being haunted by a ghost like dopple ganger. Watch the brand new teaser here!
Directed by debutant director Prosit Roy, Pari is not your average fairy tale. Also starring Parambrata Chatterjee, Rajat Kapoor and Ritabhari Chakraborty, this movie is going to be Clean Slate Films third production venture after NH10 and Phillauri. Pari is scheduled to hit the screens on 2 March, 2018 so this Holi, stay clean and safe! While we wait for the film to hit the screens, check out the new poster here.
— Anushka Sharma (@AnushkaSharma) February 22, 2018
Bollywood Puns By Amul That Make You Go WHAT
Amul’s ads have stuck around with us for so long that when anything even remotely news worthy happens, Amul’s ads are the first we look for. While we all look at giving our Bollywood celebrities a little lee way when it comes to controversies, Amul has always been relentless. Check out these brilliant (not) adds by Amul and have a blast!
1. When KJo Had Twins
2. The Kangana Controversy
3. Everything About Delhi
4. When Baahubali 2 Broke All Records
5. Bajrangi Bhaijaan. So Why Not?
6. FB Ya Phir Bhi?
7. Sulu Ya Swiggy?
- FIR Filed Against Salman Khan And Katrina Kaif For Casteist Remarks
- Pari Teaser 5 Will Make You Lose Your Sleep
- Bollywood Puns By Amul That Make You Go WHAT
- Welcome To New York Movie Review And Box Office Expectations
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety Review And Box Office Expectations
- Bollywood Celebrities Who Disappeared. Where To Is The Question.
- Justin Trudeau And His Very Bollywood Visit
- Sehmi Hai Dhadkan, The First Song From Daas Dev Is Out. Listen Here!
- Blackmail Trailer Is Out. Watch It Here
- Shah Rukh Khan Declares Love For A Lady Who Is Not Gauri!
- Five Reasons To Watch Welcome To New York
- See Shahid Kapoor Rare And Unseen Pictures Here
- Baaghi 2 Trailer Is Out. Watch It Here!
- Oye Hichki, The First Song From Hichki Is Out. Listen To It Here!
- Bollywood Movie Scenes Which Will Make You Weep
- Assam Minister Defends Priyanka Chopra
- Baaghi 2 First Poster Is Out!
- Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi Gets A Release Date
- Varun Dhawan Rare And Unseen Pictures
- Nit Khair Manga, Raid Second Song Is Out. Listen To It Here.
- Batti Gul Meter Chalu Goes On Floors Today
- Virushka, A Love Story For The Ages
- Tiger Shroff And Things You Do Not Know About Him
- Salman Khan Replaces Arijit Singh’s Song In Welcome To New York Again?
- Aiyaary Day Four Box Office Collections
- S S Rajamouli Mahabharata Imaginery Character Sketches: See Pics
- Megastar Chiranjeevi Film Khaidi No.150 Beats Dangal Records
- S S Rajamouli Breaks Silence On Madhuri Dixit And Surya Being Part Of Baahubali 2
- Sunny Leone Gives A SOLID Reply To RGV On His Shameless Tweets: Watch Video
- Shocking! Salman Khan Worried About Prabhas Baahubali 2
- Baahubali filmmaker SS Rajmouli Next Is Trilogy Based On Mahabharata!
- Rajamouli’s Mahabharatha To Star 3 Big Superstars From Different Industries
- Indian Celebrities WhatsApp Conversation On Khaidi No150
- Kangana Ranaut Opens Up About Her Fight With Prabhas
- Dangal Box Office Collections | 42 Days Collections