Time and time again, real actors have been cast aside for the “stars.” Remember Kangana Ranaut’s comment on nepotism? Scream all they want, our Bollywood stars cannot deny the fact that this is a true and unfair practice still being followed; even in the 21st century! If you still are not convinced, then here are five Bollywood movies which prove just this fact!
1. Prem Ratan Dhan Pao
I am sorry Sonam Kapoor, but you just do not have the acting genes. While you do act a little bit in Neerja, you really disappointed us in movies like Prem Ratan Dhan Pao. We all think Swara Bhaskar, who had the second lead, could have done a much, MUCH better job in this movie! Oh well. What to do. You are a born “star.”
2. Half Girlfriend
Why would one pick Arjun Kapoor, of all people, to play the role of a love lost and life wronged Bihari? Getting the Bihari accent bang on, Vikrant Massey was the ONLY good thing about Mohit Suri’s disastrous film, based on Chetan Bhagat’s equally disastrous book, by the same name. Clearly, the makers went the star way and picked the obvious choice here. Because boo acting.
In Sarbjit, the author backed role went to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. It was quite clear from the movie that this part was way too powerful for her to pull off, while Richa Chadda was relegated to a smaller part in the movie. We know what the truth here is though. Nepotism – 1; Real talent – 0!
4. Delhi Belly
Okay. Imran Khan does look, but then again, that is all he does. Vir Das or Kumal Roy Kapoor could have easily pulled off Imran’s role. Interestingly, the two definitely proved their worth considering the fact they did most of the heavy lifting in this movie. Nah. We do not want talent. We want a star in the lead.
5. Bajrangi Bhaijaan
This is one movie where Salman Khan proved he could deliver hits even with a content driven movie. Unfortunately for him, Nawazuddin Siddique could have definitely played the role a better way and still taken it to the 100 crores club. Salman Khan, however, had to be the lead, because apna Bhai hai!
If films like Trapped, Bareily Ki Barfi, Lipstick Under My Burkha and Newton have taught us anything, it is that we, the audience, want to see good actors and not just “stars.” Content is indeed the king of the box office and no matter how big the star, a bad performance just will not make the cut. Ideally, Bollywood should be listening, right? So sit up, listen and take notice of the world that is changing for the better! We know you can do it!
Bollywood Upcoming Period Dramas To Look Forward This Year
Bollywood as an industry is finally picking up and making some really good movies. After a long while, our directors are finally realising the power of good, meaningful cinema. With Karan Johar just announcing the release of his brand new film, Kalank, here’s looking at some of the other period dramas releasing through the next few months!
1. Thugs of Hindostan
Perhaps one of the most awaited films of the year, Thugs of Hindostan stars Aamir Khan and Amitabh Bachchan in the lead roles. Set during the early 19th century, this movie is based on how businessmen used to feel like during those times. Thugs of Hindostan is scheduled to hit the screens on 7 November, 2018.
Starring Sanjay Dutt, Kriti Sanon and Arjun Kapoor in pivotal roles, this particular movie has a rich, historical significance to its name. Based on the third Battle of Panipat, Panipat chronicles the bravery of the Indian warriors. Directed by Ashutosh Gowarikar, the film is scheduled to release on 6 December, 2019.
3. Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi
With Kangana Ranaut in the lead role, this film is a biopic based on the life of Rani Laxmi of Jhansi. Kangana’s look from the film’s sets was released a few months ago. The film chronicles her fight against the British and also stars television actor Ankita Lokhnade in a pivotal role. The release date is yet to be announced.
4. Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran
While highly controversial, John Abraham’s Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran tells the tale of how India became a nuclear power. Chronicling the struggles of the Indian scientists during the first nuclear tests carried out in 1988, the film stars John Abraham and Diana Penty in the lead roles and is scheduled to release on 20 May, 2018.
Directed by Reema Kagti with Akshay Kumar in the lead, Gold is set during the historic Olympic medal winner in the year 1984. Apart from Akshay playing the role of the Bengali hockey coach, Mouni Roy and Amit Sadh are also seen playing important roles in the film. Gold is scheduled to hit the screens on 15 August, 2018.
With so many interesting movies to look forward this year and the next, make sure you have your dates ready and booked!
Bollywood Stars Who Acted In And Wrote Their Own Films
That Bollywood has a vast amount of talent is a well known fact. From spectacular actors to mind blowing writers, Tinsel Town has it all. However, did you know there are some actors who have written and acted in their own films? Check out the list here!
1. Kalki Koechlin
As an actress, Kalki has nailed every movie she has acted in. However, her true talent lies in her writing skills. Kalki showed off her writing skills when she wrote the script for her critically acclaimed movie, The Girl In The Yellow Boots. Unfortunately, she swore off writing for her own movies as acting and self directing became a confusing task for her!
2. Konkana Sen Sharma
Even though Konkana tried her hand at writing with the short film, Naamkoron, she showed off her real talents with the film A Death In The Gunj. Not only did she pull off a brilliant performance in the movie, her writing skills have been applauded time and again!
3. Sunny Deol
After the mega success of Ghayal way back in the year 1990, Sunny Deol came back with Ghayal Once Again in 2016. The actor not only donned the director’s hat for the film, but also indulged in writing the script for it alongside other writers.
4. Vineet Kumar Singh
Known for his performances in movies like Ugly and Gangs of Wasseypur, the versatile actor turned writer for the first time in the movie Mukkabaz. Directed by Anurag Kashyap, the movie received quite the positive feedback.
With our actors turning writers, one can only say that the Bollywood industry is turning for the better. Comment and let us know who your favourite actor turned writer is!
Bollywood Directors And How Much They Earn
As a country, we have always been fascinated by the world of Bollywood. While we appreciate the amount of work screen writers, the directors and the actors put into the movie, we seem to forget what goes into our director’s pockets! With that in mind, let’s take a look at how much our favourite directors really earn per movie!
1. Kabir Khan – Rs. 8 Crores
Famously known for directing several blockbusters with superstar Salman Khan, doesn’t seem to do too poorly himself. He made his big Bollywood directorial debut with Kabul Express in the year 2006. Apart from working with Salman Khan, he has also worked with people like Katrina Kaif and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
2. Mani Ratnam – Rs. 9 Crores
An internationally acclaimed writer, Mani Ratnam is known for writing and directing some truly brilliant Hindi and Telugu movies. Some of his extremely famous movies include Dil Se, Roja and Bombay! Guru as a movie was highly critically acclaimed and appreciated by both the audience and critics alike.
3. Karan Johar – Rs. 10 Crores
Emotionally attached to several Bollywood films, Karan Johar redefined romance as a genre. With real life situations being brought out in an extermely heartwarming manner, KJo has earned himself a name in every Indian’s heart!
4. Rajkumar Hirani – Rs. 10 Crores
Down to earth and true to his craft, Rajkumar Hirani has proved his worth time and time again. Despite starting off in the industry as an editor, Rajkumar Hirani created a niche for himself with movies like Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. Interestingly, his next big expected blockbuster is going to be a biopic on the life of Sanjay Dutt!
5. Rohit Shetty – Rs. 25 Crores
Perhaps one of the most highest paid directors of Bollywood, Rohit Shetty has let us know for a fact that his films are excellent, to say the least. While Zameen was his directorial debut in the year 2003, the Golmaal series was his big ticket to fame!
6. S.S. Rajamouli – Rs. 100 Crores
The highest paid director in Bollywood, S.S. Rajamouli has been successful in redefining the field of film making in both Bollywood and Tollywood. Every movie he has directed has managed to cross the 100 crores mark at the box office, making him the official gold turner!
- Bollywood’s Mama’s Boys!
- Sanjay Dutt Biopic Teaser NOT To Release On 24 April
- Ishaan Khattar Unknown Facts And Unseen Images
- Shahid Kapoor And Mira Rajput Announce The Birth Of Baby Number 2!
- Irrfan Khan’s Puzzle Trailer Out. Watch Here!
- Abhishek Bachchan And Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: Happy Wedding Anniversary!
- Nanu Ki Jaanu Movie Review
- Beyond The Clouds Movie Review
- Tusshar Kapoor And Ekta Kapoor: Unseen Pictures
- A Brand New Muqabala From Beyond The Clouds!
- Badumbaaa: The Latest Song From 102 Not Out Is Way Too Cute For Words
- Omerta Release Date Pushed!
- Omerta: Three Reasons To Watch
- Bhavesh Joshi Superhero Teaser Out. Watch Here!
- Ae Watan, The First Song From Raazi, Just Released And Its Beautiful!
- Bollywood Upcoming Period Dramas To Look Forward This Year
- Bhavesh Joshi Superhero Movie First Look Revealed!
- Beyond The Clouds: Reasons To Watch
- Tujhe Dekhti Hai Nazar: New Song From Nanu Ki Jaanu Shows Love Is Still Alive
- Kalank: The Next KJo Project Announced
- Daas Dev Release Date Postponed To 27 April, 2018
- Bollywood Stars Who Acted In And Wrote Their Own Films
- Saaho: Bhushan Kumar Joins The Team Of The Trilingual Movie
- Priyanka Chopra Officially Part Of Bharat
- Madhuri Dixit: Rare And Unseen Pictures
- S S Rajamouli Mahabharata Imaginery Character Sketches: See Pics
- Megastar Chiranjeevi Film Khaidi No.150 Beats Dangal Records
- S S Rajamouli Breaks Silence On Madhuri Dixit And Surya Being Part Of Baahubali 2
- Sunny Leone Gives A SOLID Reply To RGV On His Shameless Tweets: Watch Video
- Shocking! Salman Khan Worried About Prabhas Baahubali 2
- Baahubali filmmaker SS Rajmouli Next Is Trilogy Based On Mahabharata!
- Rajamouli’s Mahabharatha To Star 3 Big Superstars From Different Industries
- Indian Celebrities WhatsApp Conversation On Khaidi No150
- Kangana Ranaut Opens Up About Her Fight With Prabhas
- Dangal Box Office Collections | 42 Days Collections